Doggos (and quite a few kitties) do love to eat people food. And those innocent, pleading eyes certainly make it hard to resist tossing your pet some of your food. After all, we can eat it, so how bad could these toxic treats be?

Pretty bad, actually, depending on what you have. Besides the danger of an obese pet, several people foods are dangerous for your doggo. 

Below are six fruits and veg you should avoid like the plague when sharing with your pup, or you may end up at the vet or emergency clinic.

 

Avocado

While humans can safely eat avocado, dogs cannot. All parts of this fruit contain persin, a substance poisonous to your furbaby. In addition, avocado has a high fat content that causes gastrointestinal issues and pancreatitis. Dogs can also choke on the huge avocado pit. Overall, it’s best to keep avocados away from dogs. A severe attack of pancreatitis can cause acute shock and death.

Symptoms: persin causes vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. It can also cause myocardial damage. Pancreatitis symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy, appetite loss.   MODERATELY TOXIC

 

Grapes/raisins

Scientists have yet to isolate the specific toxin in grapes so lethal to dogs, but this popular fruit (and its dried variation- raisins) should never be given to a dog. In smaller breeds, even just a single grape can lead to death. Grapes can even cause acute renal (kidney) failure in dogs. Keep well away from your doggos.

Symptoms: loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, excessive thirst and urine output or urination may become infrequent or cease altogether   HIGHLY TOXIC

 

Onions/garlic

Toxic treat

Onions (and related veg) belong to the Allium family. Most pets should avoid onions/ garlic/ etc, but especially cats and dogs. Breeds like the Shiba Inu and Akita are particularly sensitive to onion poisoning. 

Alliums contain N-propyl disulfide, which causes red blood cells to rupture, leading to anemia. Gastrointestinal side effects are also par for the course. All parts of Alliums (onions, garlic, shallots, leeks, chives) are toxic. In addition, juice and even processed powder are toxic. 

Be mindful of the many foods that contain onion powder, which range from soups and casseroles to chips and even some baby foods (can we say yuck!). Ironically, onion and garlic powders are more dangerous than the raw versions. 

Symptoms: vomiting, abdominal pain, red-tinged urine, excessive salivation, rapid heartbeat (tachycardia), panting, lethargy   HIGHLY TOXIC

 

Whole apples

Fruit veg

While doggos can eat apple slices, whole apples are a no-no. The core, with its seed pips, contains trace amounts of cyanide. The seeds can potentially release some .06 mg per gram weight of cyanide. An adult human can ingest some seeds with little ill effect. 

Unless you happen to collect apple pips and store them in large quantities, the few your pup may eat on occasion likely won’t cause any upset, especially if swallowed whole.

However, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and not give them apple seeds. Ingesting large quantities at once, or small amounts over a long period can lead to cyanide poisoning.

Symptoms: panting, breathing difficulty, dark red mucus membranes, dilated pupils   MODERATELY TOXIC

 

Whole peaches/plums

Toxic treats

Peaches and plums, like apples, are fine to give doggos sliced. The pits, or giant seeds, of both cause a number of problems.  Since they are large, swallowing one can cause choking or even get stuck in the intestines, causing a blockage. Either scenario can result in death.

Peach pits contain amygdalin. In addition, the leaves and stems contain a cyanide variant. These poisons can cause acute and chronic symptoms. Acute poisoning happens when the dog eats a quantity all at once.

Chronic symptoms are the same as acute. Chronic poisoning is much harder to detect because they occur gradually. It means your pupper has eaten minute amounts over a long period, allowing the toxins to build up in the body. 

If you have a peach or plum tree or orchard on your property, make sure your dog doesn’t eat the windfall fruit or savage the trees themselves.

Symptoms: abdominal bloating, fever (hyperthermia), vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, breathing difficulty, seizures, cardiac arrest, drooling/ frothy drool, disorientation, shivering, malaise or weakness  HIGHLY TOXIC

 

Whole Persimmons

Toxic treats fruits veg

Like apples and stone fruits, your dog can eat persimmons. The problem lies with the pit/ seeds. While not toxic per se, they can cause problems in the small intestines, and even cause blockages which can be lethal if not treated. Dogs can’t digest pits and seeds. In addition, they can be a choking hazard.

Symptoms of blockage: vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy, appetite loss, straining to poop or inability to poop, dehydration   NON-TOXIC/ MODERATELY DANGEROUS

 

Final Woof

Next time you’re eating one of these fruits or veg, and your dog gives you those sad eyes, wanting to share your food, make the safe choice and don’t give in. Stand firm! You’ll save your dog, and yourself, a lot of grief.

If you think your pup may have ingested something toxic, you need to get them to their vet or an emergency vet clinic if symptoms are severe.

Local resource for those near the Bay Area, California- Sage Veterinary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.