Toxic treats- pups, like some cats, love eating people food when they get the chance. And it’s certainly hard to resist when said pup is sitting there in front of you, staring at you with innocent, pleading eyes! After all, what’s the harm?

Toxic treats

Quite a lot, depending on what you have. Besides the consideration of weight gain, several human foods are dangerous for your doggo. 

Below are six treats you should avoid like the plague when sharing with your pupper, or you may end up at the vet or emergency clinic.

Toxic treats

Xylitol

You’ll find this sugar substitute in a lot of diabetic-friendly foods. It’s in everything from ice cream to toothpaste (yes, toothpaste!). If your pooch gets ahold of foods with xylitol, then it can cause low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), and even cause the liver to fail, within a matter of mere days.

Symptoms: lethargy, nausea and vomiting, balance and coordination issues, jaundice of sclera. Can result in death. HIGHLY TOXIC

Toxic treats

Caffeine

This stimulant outwardly affects pets as it does humans who do not have a caffeine tolerance. You’ll find caffeine in unusual places like certain chewing gums, and the usual suspects of teas, coffee, soda, cocoa/chocolate, energy shots (ex: 5 HR Energy), and energy drinks (ex: Red Bull, Monster Energy). If not used responsibly, then the latter can be deadly to humans, too.

Symptoms: irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia), rapid heartbeat (tachycardia), hyperactivity, tremors/loss of muscle control, seizure, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea. HIGHLY TOXIC

Chocolate

This beloved human treat is definitely a no-go for dogs. Not only does it contain caffeine, discussed above, but it also contains something called theobromine, which dogs have trouble processing. All types of chocolate contains theobromine, even white chocolate. And the darker the chocolate, the higher the theobromine levels. 

 Symptoms: arrhythmia, tachycardia, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea and flying ax-handles, tremors, loss of coordination. HIGHLY TOXIC

Macadamia Nuts

Scientists have yet to learn exactly what makes these delicious nuts toxic to dogs. People eat them, and they have no effect on cats that ingest them, but even a small amount can cause severe problems in dogs.

Symptoms: elevated core temperature (hyperthermia), depressed affect, loss of balance and coordination (especially of the hind legs), tremors, vomiting/ nausea, diarrhea. HIGHLY TOXIC

Toxic treat

Dairy

While small amounts of dairy may occasionally be okay, you shouldn’t make it a daily thing, nor a significant quantity thing. You’ll be dealing with the consequences just as much as your pooch. 

Symptoms: gastrointestinal upset, nausea, diarrhea, flying ax handles (severe diarrhea) MILDLY TOXIC

Alcohol

Alcohol affects canines like it does humans,but dogs are way more sensitive to its effects. It only takes a small amount to be dangerous to pooches, and the smaller your dog, the worse the possible consequences.

Symptoms: nausea/ vomiting, balance and coordination issues, laboured breathing, flying ax handles, dehydration, coma. MODERATELY TOXIC

Final Woof

Next time you eat one of these human treats, and your dog gives you those sad eyes, wanting to share your food, make the safe choice and don’t give in. Stand firm! You’ll save your dog, and yourself, a lot of grief.

If you think your pup may have ingested something toxic, then you need to get them to their vet or an emergency vet clinic if symptoms are severe.

Local resource for those near the Bay Area, California- Sage Veterinary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.